Two key scriptures to know pertaining to curses:
- Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
- Curses do not come without a cause. Proverbs 26:2 As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come.
A curse is a recompense or the effect of sin.
Lamentations 3:64-65 Render unto them a recompence, O LORD, according to the work of their hands.Give them sorrow of heart, thy curse unto them.
Curses come on those who do not obey God’s Word.
Deuteronomy 27:26 Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them.
Generational Curses: If our ancestors have sinned (and they have!!), we must renounce their sins and break the generational curses associated with their sins.
- Lamentations 5:7 Our fathers have sinned, and are not; and we have borne their iniquities.
- Exodus 20:4-5 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Signs of a Curse
- Poverty and financial difficulty
- Barrenness and female or reproductive problems
- Failure, no success
- Untimely, unnatural deaths
- Life traumas, continuous crises
- Mental or emotional breakdown
- Breakdown of family relationships
- Spiritual impediment in hearing Gods voice, understanding the Word, or impediments in other areas of spiritual development including praying and spiritual gifts
Jesus Christ of Nazareth became a sacrifice so that we would not be under a curse. However, as believers we must take these rights as Christians and enact them in our lives. Just as we have actively accepted Christ as our personal Lord and Savior, we must actively root Satan out of our lives by breaking and his removing his legal rights to our lives.
- Matthew 3:10 says, “And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” As believers we must loose the curses from our lives in order to receive the fullness of blessings the Lord has for us.
- Remember what the Word says in Matthew 18:18 “Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” We must loose Satan and his demons from our lives on an ongoing basis.
Breaking curses is akin to signing a notice of eviction for Satan and his demons. Unless we enforce the order of eviction, he will remain. Numbers 33:55 says, “But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell.”
Satan uses a Christian’s ignorance of God’s Word as an open door of opportunity. Hosea 4:6 says, “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. “
Now that you know more about Satan’s tactics in regards to curses, it is imperative for you to get the devil out of your life.
- II Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
- II Timothy 2:26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
There are different types of curses that Satan and his demons will use to gain legal entry into your life.
Curses are caused by generational sin, personal sin, spoken word curses, time delayed curses and accursed objects.
The bible identifies many sins that can cause curses. Deuteronomy 27 and 28 are good places to begin your studies about curses.
Recommended reading concerning curses include the following:
- “Blessing or Curse: You Can Choose” by Derek Prince
- “Identifying and Breaking Curses” by John Eckhardt
- “The Breaking of Curses” by Frank and Ida Mae Hammond